Monday, July 19, 2010

I'm sure I sound like a broken record.

But Kieran is a completely new kid these days. Of course he still has his sweet, ornery personality, but holy shit, where did this attitude come from?! Multiple times this afternoon/evening I was just at a loss for what to do for him. I think part of the problem is he isn't getting enough time with me. Things were great until my friend Sarah came over tonight. She's great with Kieran, and he loves her, but it was like the second all my attention wasn't on him he was literally SCREAMING, almost constantly. Tried to feed him, nope. Still screaming. Tried to play with him, nope. Still screaming. Tried giving him some juice and then some milk... Nope. You guessed it. Still screaming. And it wasn't even like an "in pain" screaming, it was just like a "HEY LOOK AT MEEEEE I CAN BE SOOO LOUUUD" screaming. I tried being stern with him and telling him in my mean mommy voice that we don't scream like that and he stopped for about a minute, but then of course picked it back up. Ugh! It was like that until he went to bed. I just don't know how to fix this. He is officially not allowed to go to the grocery store with me anymore, the last THREE times I've tried, he literally screams the whole time unless I'm holding him. And I don't know if you've tried holding 25 lbs on your hip and pushing a full grocery cart with one hand... but it is NOT easy. I've also noticed he is MUCH more dependent on his binky the last couple weeks. Once we get through the stress of this move, I'm gonna work on switching him to only having it at nap time and bed time, and after another few months hopefully he will be off it all together. I have the most amazing parenting book on how to deal with the new found attitudes of toddlers, but it seems like in the moment I never use the tricks the book talks about. *sigh* I hope this gets easier, or next semester is going to be REALLY long. I feel weird when I try out a new "parenting technique" for lack of a better term, when people are around.... But I never need to use anything new when it's just us because he doesn't act up! But I can't keep myself locked inside with him 24/7 unless I want to lose my mind. I need adult interaction at LEAST twice a week. I just feel like everyone is watching me and wondering how i'm gonna handle it, and I feel like I'm being judged when I fail at handling the situation. I feel less silly about it when I'm around people who aren't parents themselves, but it seems like those people are the ones who criticize me more. Which pisses me off to no end.

Hey, Tommy.... I know you'll read this, so if you have any suggestions... LET ME KNOW!!! lol

1 comment:

  1. Calleigh had her first real fit in a store today. I know the feeling of being watched quite well. It was my own fault, really, as it was WAY past naptime and I was still out and about. It was the first time I felt really uncomfortable because of her "fit." Please share what amzing parenting book for toddlers you found!

    ReplyDelete